Monday, June 16, 2008

Introduction Diet - Day 5

The night before we started the introductory diet Michael got up to go to the bathroom 7-8 times. The night of June the 12th he got up twice. Only twice.

I know it's only the first week. I know. But the fact that he's already seemingly better really pisses me off. Why isn't someone researching these things more? Why is the medical community so quick to offer drugs and surgery before trying holistic methods?

I find it amazing and disgusting that after only four days on this diet he is feeling better and yet most doctors don't even know about it. I find it awful and sad that the whole time we've been going through this I was met with confusion when discussing "nutrition" as an option.

When Michael was in the hospital in New York I asked his doctor if we shouldn't maybe discuss things with a nutritionist. He looked as though he never thought of anything like that before in his life. "If you'd like to," he said matter-of-factly. They sent a nutritionist in to talk to me. She was a nice lady but her attitude confused me as well. "Basically he should eat anything he can get down, anything he wants right now."

"I understand why you're saying that right now. He's severely underweight. But in general, there has to be more to this. This disease is in the intestines. The intestines are part of a humans digestive system." Even at the beginning, I knew intuitively that something didn't make sense. I said this aloud to more than one doctor. She responded the way most of them did.

"Diet has nothing to do with Crohn's disease." She said.

It almost makes you want to rip your hair out.

No comments: