Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Timing is Everything

Last night we really enjoyed ourselves. Making our own mayo for the tuna salad lettuce wraps... It was better than any store bought brand! Michael took it with him to have as lunch as well. Tonight, for dinner, I'll be trying the following recipe:

Baked Tilapia with Avocado & Tomato

Ingredients:
4 tilapia fish fillets (about 5 oz each)
2 Tbsp olive oil (preferably extra virgin)
1/4 tsp each pepper, garlic powder (will be substituting fresh garlic as garlic powder is illegal), dried basil and dried marjoram
1/2 tsp salt2 ripe medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 ripe avocado (preferably Haas), peeled and diced

Preparation:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil (for easy cleanup).
2. Brush both sides of fish with 1 Tbsp oil; place on lined pan. Sprinkle fish with 1/8 tsp pepper, the garlic powder, basil and marjoram and 1/4 tsp salt.
3. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until fish is just barely opaque at center.
4. Meanwhile put tomato and avocado into a medium bowl, add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Toss to mix and coat.5. Serve over the fish.

Sounds yummy! I'm really enjoying this. And there is just something so satisfying about making every single little thing from scratch. And it's not like I loved cooking before. It was just something I had to do.

Now the whole process is highly enjoyable to me. Choosing the recipe, preparing the ingredients, making the meal and then the actual eating, knowing with every bite that this ain't no McDonalds.

And his health. It's like night and day. I am teetering between joy and anger. How wonderful that we've finally found SOMETHING that can help him. But how awful that no one could tell us about this before.

I've been reading a bit about Elaine Gottschall. Her selflessness, her dedication. I want to help spread the word, continue with her work, somehow. There are so many people suffering without a clue as to how to heal themselves.

The steroids, the antibiotics, it's part of the vicious cycle as well. I know there is a time for western medicine. I just wish "they"- the Doctors, the people in charge - knew that the time isn't always now.

1 comment:

stockfish said...

Maureen,

Thank you for your roast beef comment on my blog eatingSCD.wordpress.com.

I'm happy that you and Michael have found the SCD. It truly is remarkable.

Isn't it incredible that the medical establishment doesn't at least tell people about this diet? It's hard to believe and makes me mad too.

I've recently joined a group on Yahoo called SCDsupporters (health.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCDSupporters)
It's a group that aims to support and promote the SCD movement. Based on what you've said on your blog, I thought you might be interested.

Cheers,
Paul Stocker
eatingSCD.wordpress.com